Monday, April 22, 2013

New York bound, but.. stuck in New Jersey....

Okay, 1977, I moved to Reston , Virginia. I was not in school a month, when I met my first friend. She was  a tall blonde girl, with lots of jewelery, and hair like Robert Plant... We hooked up, and became good friends.. When she found out I came from New York... the 1st thought was lets go... I was so in agreement.. I wanted here to see there was a world outside of Reston,Va.. I moved down here telling my family.. I won't ever start talking like these hicks..(just for the record when I do speak to any friends of mine up North... they say 'you sound like a southern bell'...yuck..Its only Va.. not Miss....Anyway, so.. I did not care much for the Country bumpkin hick talk....but we were 2, 15 year olds, with a free spirit..... so we decided to pack up some belongings, and hitch-hike up to New York... It was the beginning of Summer Vacation, I believe we were still in anticipation of the Zeppelin Concert.. So, we headed up the road for New York... We hitched our way all the way up North w/o incident, and I introduced here to a bunch of my friends.. we stayed somewhere....lol.. and then  in the hot summer heat, we put our belongings on our backs.. at which time I wore boots that laced up to the knees.. it was to hot for them so I swung them over my shoulder, and we kept walking and thumbing..a ride.. well, we were on the New Jersey Turnpike.. and a State Trooper pulled us over and gave  us a warning not to be hitch hiking... but, we had to.. So, our very next ride was some goon,,,, he was making such crass conversation.. me and S.. looked at each other like he is crazy... See we had a plan.. She , sits in the back seat, n me up front, when and if It looked dangerous, I would open the door and get out to get help... Well, this dude  was weird, because when we got to the GW Memorial bridge, he asked us to pay the toll..... Well... we did not have it.. or so we said... well, it was really weird the next bunch of miles, but that jerk just spilt us out at the Mt Holly, NJ. exit... the ramp alone was a mile...long!!! Well , we started to get back on the Turnpike , when we saw a State trooper, and we went in reverse, up the ramp.... heading towards what we thought was a town.. I will never forget  "THE LONGEST RAMP IN AMERICA"  We were walking and walking.. looking for puddles to sip water out of... a piece of candy.. we  were so thirsty... and the road was sooooo long.. Well, out of no where a race care pulls up, buck teeth and bald.... and asks us if we need a ride?.. We were so tired and thirsty.. We told him were we walked from he said that's 5 miles back... So, he said he would get us to the nearest Howard Johnson's... and started to tell us how many woman and girls had been raped and then thrown down on the sides of this road we were on... Well, red lights going off in me and S's mind, and this goon smiling while he is telling us of these stories... I am like We need to get out of here.. It was a densely-thick wooded scenery to our right and our left, and a drain-off to the left... he was saying like this young girl was found there last week, I am like I am outta here stop the car..... Needless to say he did.. Thank-fully we were to old to big.. whatever.. we walked like 15 more miles that day for a glass of Ice water 4x's..lol, in an Ice-ceam glass- the tallest biggest glass they had) at the Howard Jonhson's, and then at Dusk, we geared up.. for a pretty uneventful hitch-hike home to Va.. To this day I never forget Mt. Holly NJ.. and the ramp.... spent a whole day there...

No comments:

Post a Comment