Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Walk for a good cause....

I remember  my sister and I signing up for a Muscular Dystrophy 20 mile walk-a-thon. It was in Los Angeles, and she talked me into doing it with her. I had been partying pretty hard. I was not working out as I had once did. Nevertheless, I agreed. Well, just one note on our preparation-none.. I did not even have sneakers..  She did though. So I took a pair of stockings, and slid into her tiny(3 sizes to small) sneakers.. See , my  toes go out , and her feet turned in.. so that was a crunch, to begin with. Well, we set out for the Cerritos Comm. College, and we signed up. We had such enthusiasm, and gusto.. We were going to finish this.. and then go and but fish, and veggies at the market, and cook this great dinner!! Well, I would say about 5 miles into this my feet were hurting.. about 12 miles into this I took those sneakers off.. I walked another 2-3 miles and my stockings were shredded up to my knees, and these were knee- hi's..lol  I remember having my sister tell me to look!! Look that guy just flashed me, in that white van!! I would go to look, and he wasn't doing anything, he was following slowly, but I never seen anything.. (she always saw these guys  do odd things in there cars, to her.) I never did.. So, we seen him trying to talk to this young girl in front of us.. and we told her to walk with us,  she did until she tired out.. Well, we were starting to really feel the pain of this walk !! So, we decided when we did get home we would just make salads, with what we had in the fridge, and by the 15th mile we were saying we would slap a sandwich together, the heck with going shopping, and or tossing a head of lettuce.. Well, we were nearing the end of this walk, and my bare feet were so Sore!!! I was hobbling  so bad!! I had to finish though..20 miles is long way to go when your out of shape..to say the least!!! Well, we were down to our last mile, and we were hurting.. but, we still were starving.. so the last 5 minutes of this walk, I said we are going to call the pizza man to deliver, and I ran to the check-Out point.. with all I had in me, and signed out.. with hat I received a gift.. a key holder for my house key when I did go running.. It would slide onto my shoe lace, cool idea.. only I never did use it.Even in my most diligent days of running, and rollerblading. Well, we got into the car and I could not even work the clutch my knees, and feet were so sore!!!  I worked it though on the side of my feet.. I was determined to get home!!! We were both so sore for the w/e we did not do a thing.. I forgot about that walk.. Until I heard an ad for a 20 mile walk on the radio the other day... I would not even attempt it w/o my size sneaker, and good athletic socks!!! Later

No comments:

Post a Comment