Sunday, February 20, 2011

Florida Bound...at 15...

We drove all night. We switched drivers, when Steve got tired. I would be propped up on pillows, and work the clutch while Steve worked the shift stick. Only time I would pull over , was when we had to 'go'... I would just let the engine cut off. That would wake Steve up, and then we could get going again.. I drove all night into Orlando Fla. I had been to Disney World a few years earlier with my family.( I was kind of  familiar)   I knew we needed jobs. So I went to the Employment Office to get us a print-out of Job openings. I found '1' .. taking care of old people . We went to the address, and there sitting on the porch,with a bunch of old folks in wheel chairs, and canes, we interviewed with Mariam. Well, I managed to persuade her to take Lisa and me for the one Salary-$625.00 a month. She said okay!! We had jobs... but Steve did not. So , with that I believe at that time, he just took off for home,back in Va.( I found that out later. )So, we got all our stuff put away. We would start our days taking care of these people, who all had tragic stories. Their families abandoned them for any bit of money!! They left them in homes with no food or means to getting food.One old guy they called Popeye. was fond eating plastic dishes and cups.. in an empty house. One lady even the front door was removed, because it had value to it. So, Maryam would take them in and collect funds form the county, she made out.. We settled in so good, we found freedom some nights, and would disappear for hours, and show up early am sneaking in the window to our room. One morning we got caught..she was standing right there when I got in.. and she was mad, she said 'she couldn't have us girls doing this with her people here. So we would have to go. She paid us for the rest of the month, and we were homeless. we took our stuff.. well everything except a 8x10 photo of Led Zeppelin's, I put under the mattress.. I was and still am mad
 about that. I sat on their tambourine box at a concert and memorized the address, and mailed them a letter , and they wrote me back..with a  great photo of them in the studio. only a few people in my life got to see that..Oh and Lisa forgot her Grandfather, pocket watch.. so we just kept moving on. Wended up at the Disney Park. Set up camp on the built-up roof, a top the contemporary hotel . The one with the Monorail that went through the restaurant... That's where we stayed years earlier. So, we would go down to the Pool Room and shoot pool for a buck a ball, and  that's where we met the brothers. They asked us if we needed a place to stay, and we said yes, and so that night we were heading to there trailer, It was a mess. We cleaned and repaired holes, and got rid of the foot long roaches. just joking, but they were hugh!! So we settled in there. I met Kenny, a quiet guy sitting in a corner chair of the living, we became friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment