Sunday, November 6, 2011

Talk about Drunk-Driving.....

  • I was working for a Roofing company, about 2years. That was after I realized..the winters got to cold to landscape.. and  cut firewood and sell it. I just walked into the office of this roofing company and  I was hired !!! To Roof'. I never did this before, but I needed to work.. and a 9-5 job indoors just did 'nt get it for me.. ever.. not then and still.. So, I was welcomed aboard.. and I met the crew. I began working with Hot Tar..'built up roofs'  We had been all over D.C ,Maryland, and Northern Va. I was pretty strong..or so I thought..I went to put the huge mop in the bucket of 250 degree hot tar, and pull it out..I could not even it lift it let alone swab it on the plat form of insulation!!!! Well... I could not let that happen again..I have some proving to do.. I work with a bunch of men, and most of them  are 3rd generation roofers.. I will get to that point in  a minute.. So.. I gave it all I could.. and by the 3rd week into this job.. I was lifting that mop up and out of the bucket like a pro.. !! Which leads me to the pro'  This one guy had been roofing some 28 years.. his father, his fathers father.. his brothers.. Well, here he goes on this Hot summer day.. it was like 95' degrees on the ground, so it was like 110 up on the roof.. I remember buying a chocolate milk to drink with my lunch.. and Greg looked at me like .. Your not going to drink that now are you..I was like sure ..I love chocolate milk !! Well,  he says ' in 30 min utes your going to go home sick.. that is going to curdle in your gut..in no time up there.. Needless to say I did not drink it.. That made so much sense.. So, that day.. we are in Reston, Va. and Greg goes to get his mop out of the bucket.. all of us are working as usual, and We here a yelp.. and turn to it.. and it is him..with a crap load of Hot Tar all over his front . From his chin down he was burning.. and we  climb down, and go into the business and call 911... The EMS, did not even take his shirt off.. they said it had melted into his flesh... Yikes... Well, around the next 100 degree day.. I got back to the office and told Dave, my boss.. I just don't think roofing is for me.. "I need my feet back in the grass' lol.. I asked is there anything in the supply yard I could do.. ? Well, he said I think we can find something for you.. I began the next few weeks working around the yard ..I am a great organizer.. I fixed hie yard up of all the tools , and roofing materials.. I began ordering, and soon the 2 people in the office who were not really doing much of anything, were fired, and I became his sole 'Office Manager' I did Payroll, for his crews..22-30 guys.. I went to seminars to retrieve information on new tools,and so on..Well, this one time , I was asked to go to Fredricksburg, Va. - Holiday Inn, right off 95 south..Ironically, now that is the area I live in now... Well, I was told to bring a friend,go grab this'roofing information', and have lunch and drinks on his business credit card...Wow.. this was going to be good. In that year,1981-82, Fredricksburg was like a 2 hour drive..and pretty desilent..hi-way road.. Well, me and my friend sandy.. headed off.. We finally got to the exit, went into the seminar, grabbed everything on these Tremco.. products and left for the Bar , right through the lounge.. Well we hit it right at Happy Hour !!  3 for 1's a $1.95 !! Jack Daniels and diet cokes with 2 cherries!!!! # at once, and they were some pretty big drinks.. let me tell you.. So, there we were for hours shooting pool, and drinking and so forth..( please read my book, when published to get the full story..) lol This is family oriented blog.. So, we were so blitzed. Then Sandy said she was going home to get her check book.. I was like okay.. I am staying and going to finish my table of drinks!! I had a few round bought for me too.. I was intending on drinking them too.. so about midnight, I did not see Sandy, and I was ready to head back home.. and go to her house, way in the country to see is she made it.. Well, All I remember about 95 north was I laid my head on my arm..I had a Ford PU with a couch seat.. SO I put my arm up and laid my head on it, with my eyes blurred, and half a sleep.. I remember waking up once to see this hugh mac truck in the right lane.. and the next thing I remember I pulled up in Sandy's driveway ,you did not go up all the way, fro her boyfriend shoots then asks questions.. I knew him well.. So i stood up on my door way of my truck and hollered Is she here.. awhile he pointing a gun.. He said Yep.. I  just got in my truck and drove another 30 minutes.. to Reston to my mom;s apt.. and fell asleep.. I was so lucky!! to say the least.. Many a  time.. I stayed up for days one time.. and showed up for work, and I remember having to type contracts.. I was so snow blinded.. As soon as my boss left, I went home.. too.. It was like a year later, I would be packing to move to California..

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank all my 328 readers...!! I just wish you whoever the rest of you are would get signed up!!! Become a follower.. just log in.. I would greatly appreciate it.. But Thanks anyway !!!

    ReplyDelete