Sunday, September 4, 2011

Find a block where your people can find you,...

You never know when your making a memory... you wish you were here together again some day...!! (Ricky Lee Jones) And that's what we did.. we were making memories..Being raised with all the best things a kid could want in America.. We were spoiled.. but even that had  consequences. My grand parents were from Italy, there Parents came over by boat, Ellis Island 1894..  My Pop, on my Dads side  was 6 years old when they ,my Great Grand Parents Loretta, and Dominic came to America. They had  My Pop, his 2 sisters , and a little brother Phillip. Phillip and my Pop both had Polio, but Philip died real young, and my Pop survived. Then when he was 7 his Mom died.. and at 9 his Dad died. There he was  in the Bowery, on the streets of New York,  to raise his sisters.. and to that,  he did.. He went into boxing and  became a Contender. He was pretty good from the money, and awards  he got , in which I heard about,  from him, and the pictures I had seen.. In fact he gave me his  Everlast Original, Boxing bag, and his gloves...!!!   He also taught me to Bowl !! He bowled a perfect game!! So, that even the T.V program Bowling for Dollars would not let him compete, because he was a sure win!!!  You see when he met my Grandma.. she gave him an ultimatum.. Get a real job , and give up Boxing.. So, he did and went to work for Grumman's, making ammo.. And so he married grandma D. a seamstress.  She  was awesome with a needle and thread , let alone a Singer sewing machine.. She was working for Barnum Bailey Circus, and she made Gunther-the Lion Tamers outfits.. all the Sequence blankets for the Elephants, and much more. Everything I owned had, a sequence patch of some kind of animal,on it... She also made Liberace' s capes and some suits.. and her and ten little old women further down the road, where the ones who made the Outfits for Kiss, the band.. Well, while they were trying to teach us the Italian language , and how to sew, and crochet.. were rebelling and doing our own things .  I remember this doll house my Dad built me, it even had a double decker(hand-painted) marble  Porch that fit up to the side of the house.. my Grand Parents went to FOA Swhartz the biggest toy store in America, in the city to get the furniture for it.. So , through-out the year I would add pieces like a Tiffany lamp, and a cast iron telephone, a toilet paper holder.. even mini Da'Vinci paintings in the living room.. bunk beds for the kids room it was priceless.. but years and years of moving I finally hocked it in Manassas Va.. for $300.00 dollars.. I regret that now.. I remember about 6 years before Grams died, asking here to teach me to crochet... I was visiting them from Va. and she said" Take a course" I am to old to teach you that now... lol.. Pop and her were married like 60 something years, They even got a letter from the President.. and when they traveled to Los Angles to visit my Dad,and there oldest Daughter, My aunt L.. they would get free things like a bottle of Champagne, and bargains from the Airlines.. It was real nice that they would recognize them. Well, we had our great Grandma, my Grandmas 's mom.. she was so old and living with them while I was still very young, she had gotten gangrene, I was told form the Boat ride over.. the living conditions were very 'raw' and wet, and cold.. and she developed a sore, and it got infected, and she had to have half her leg amputated.. When ever we children walked in the room in there language, they would say.. cover it up.. I had seen it one time, and it was not a good thing for me to see at my age..Yuk.....Well, She was a trooper Great Grandma Renzuala... .. We are in fact on the Wall, on Ellis Island.. 3 names on both sides of my Family..  I will post pictures, as soon as I get this camera to work..ss..lol.. till later..

No comments:

Post a Comment